Mom did some googling last night after reading about how to make a fleece dog bed. She came across directions on how to create a fleece dog toy! This is a great idea, especially if you are already creating the fleece dog bed, as you’re bound to have left over material.
- 3 1/4 yard pieces of different colored or patterned fleece
- scissors or a rotary cutter
- 2 rubber bands
- Fold each piece of the fleece end to end to cut long strips.
- Cut three 4″ strips from the folded edge using scissors or a rotary cutter and a ruler. (A 4″ strip width will give you a “medium-width” dog toy. If you want it smaller or larger adjust the strip width.)
- Unfold the fabric strips and stack one strip of each color/pattern together.
- Wrap a rubber band around the edge of the fleece, about 5″ from the end.
- Now braid the three strands together, trying to make the braid as tight as possible. The tighter the braid is, the longer the toy will last.
- Make the braid about 20-27″ long, leaving some unbraided fleece at the end. This gives room to tie knots.
- Wrap the second rubber band on the end of the unbraided fleece.
- Make a knot that falls in the intersection of the unbraided and braided section.
- Cut the rubber band and pull the knot very tight.
- Trim both unbraided ends of the bone so they’re roughly the same length.
- You can either fringe the edges, or leave them how they are.
Pretty cool huh? I hope Mom can buy some fleece soon. Although she thinks if she makes me on, it probably won’t last more than a day, maybe two. But still, it’s another simple thing you can make and donate as well!